Aboriginal Youth Engagement Officer – Albany
Great Southern Community Alcohol and Drug Service
Aboriginal Youth Engagement Officer – Great Southern
4 days/week (0.8 FTE)
Fixed term contract
Compassion, Acceptance, Respect, Excellence, Service
Palmerston Association is a leading and respected not for profit provider of alcohol and other drug services. We have a rich and proud history of providing support through a range of services including counselling, groups, residential rehabilitation, and educational initiatives.
About the Position:
This position is an identified Aboriginal and /or Torres Strait Islander position. Pursuant of a Section 50(d) of the Equal Opportunity act 1984, only suitable Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander candidates will be considered.
The Moorditj Benang program is a joint opportunity facilitated by Palmerston in conjunction with our project partner ‘Impact service’. The project will target Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people aged between 12 and 24 years, who are at risk of engagement in the criminal justice system and disengagement from education and employment in the Great Southern Region.
The Moorditj Benang project comprises of a 10 week Bush Classrooms program followed by a 4 week Solid Foundations program. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to build upon partnerships within the community and mentor the participants in a one on one setting.
Skills and Experience:
To be suitable for this role you will need to demonstrate the following work-related requirements and experiences:
- Have established connections to the local Aboriginal community.
- Passon for helping Aboriginal youth, with the ability to provide mentoring and assistance to youth with a range of complex and varied needs.
- Have the ability to work with youth of different ages.
- Ability to work unsupervised and within a small team.
- Be disciplined and honest.
- Demonstrate organisational and time management skills.
- Have high-level communication skills, both verbal and written
- Commitment to program processes including administration and evaluation.
- Be pro-active and have the ability to show initiative.
- Sound knowledge of general office procedures.
Benefits & Culture
Pay Level is equivalent to Level 4 – Social, Community, Home Care and Disability Services Industry Award 2010.
- Excellent salary packaging options, receive up to $15,900 plus additional salary packaging of up to $2,650 for meal and entertainment expenses
- 2 days life and wellness leave (pro rata)
- Paid parental leave after 12 months service
- Annual leave loading
- Access to professional development training
- Monthly external supervision
- Employee Assistance Program
- 2 days paid and 8 days unpaid cultural leave for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff
To see the FULL Selection Criteria, please view the JDF linked below.
JDF – GASCADS – Aboriginal Youth Engagement Officer (1)
For a confidential discussion, contact Tina Edwards-Pope on 98922100 or email email@example.com
Note: automated applications from SEEK will be deleted.
- Click apply directly via Seek or Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org Please note successful applicant must meet the selection criteria.
- Applications should include:
A cover letter addressing the selection criteria
Position Closes: Monday 12 June 2023 @ 5pm.
Shortlisting will commence straightaway; Palmerston reserves the right to close the position early if needed.